Thursday, August 4, 2011

Patriotic Women Bake Cookies

So I read this today and it made me laugh. I am sure any of you Columbus AFB ladies know why.

Patriotic Women Bake Cookies
By Denise J. Hunnell

"You want me to do WHAT?!?!? Stay home and bake cookies???" That could have been me twenty years ago. I was a thoroughly modern woman. Newly married to an air force pilot, I was not going to be shackled by outdated images of the proper officer's wife. I was not going to be one of those squadron wives who scurried around making wonderful home-baked goodies for the "cookie bus" during combat exerises. I scoffed at the squadron commander's wife who exhorted us to keep cookie dough in the freezer so we would be ready to go whenever the exercise kicked off. How silly!! Our husbands are training to go to war. They don't care about chocolate chips and snicker-doodles!!
Now look at me: Twenty years later, I am the commander's wife and I have my apron on. I am rolling out sugar cookies for the airmen who will be in the dorms for the holidays. Other wives are churning out chocolate-chip cookies to send with deploying troops. I've got cookie dough in my freezer! Why do military wives bake cookies? After twenty years I understand.
When I married my husband, I accepted his choice to be an air force pilot, but that was his job, not mine. Over the years, I have learned that his choice is more than a job. It is a mission. I have watched as military careers ended when a spouse could not accept the demands of he mission. I have watched as marriages ended when a soldier could not give up the mission. Therefore, I have embraced the mission in my own way.
I cannot fly or fix planes. I don't carry a weapon. But I can volunteer my hands and heart to those who do. And I can bake cookies. They are baked with flour, sugar, butter, and a lot of prayers. I can only hope that each soldier finds some comfort in my culinary creation. I pray they feel the respect and support of my heart added to the recipe. Their sacrifice for America has inspired in me a reverence for America. Their willingness to defend this nation has taught me that this is a nation worth defending.
Yes, I am still a modern woman. Bust, now I am a patriotic woman. And I bake cookies!




Amen Sister!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I love this Katie! Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure that Rachel reads this one.

    ReplyDelete