Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gracie Update!!

So today I met my midwife for the rest of the pregnancy, Steve and I agree that she is AWESOME. I was a little worried about the whole midwife thing. I am not gonna lie when I first heard the word a lady in a long colorful skirt and hemp sandals popped into my head. McCormick is anything but! She spent 25 years as a labor and delivery nurse practitioner following her husband around in the Army and has at least another 15 years as a midwife. She knows exactly what she is talking about and is not afraid to tell you like it is.
I had two main concerns today that I wanted to talk about when I went it to the appointment. The first was that at my last ultrasound showed Gracie was measuring smaller then she should be and second is the intense pain/contractions I have been having. I brought up the contractions first because they were so bad on friday that I actually called L&D after hours just to ask if it was normal. Her first question was "How much water are you drinking?" my response "I get at least a gallon down a day. I have really been trying for the two gallons, but I just...." "WHAT? That's bullshit! I am sorry but what Idiot told you to drink two gallons a day? You'd spend the WHOLE day in the bathroom." "Well the RN in L&D when I called on friday." "No honey, one gallon is more then enough water. And don't feel bad if you can't get that down a day just get as close as possible." Then we started talking about other things like Gracie measuring small. Her answer..."Honey, the error of margin on an ultrasound is anywhere from one to two weeks She is right in there, plus your stomach is measuring perfectly at 25.5 cm for 25 wks. She is not small." This was a huge relief, because my ob had made it seem like she was measuring way behind what she should be.
So after we had the check up we went next-door to her office to talk some more while she filled out paperwork. On the way there I had another contraction so it brought the subject back up. "Well it's definitely not dehydration, but does anything seem to make them go away?" "Yea, I never have them if I am sitting or lying down." "Well then honey you should be sitting or lying down." Now me thinking she doesn't get the extend of what I am trying to say answers back "but, It's like I can't stand for more then 10 minutes at a time without it starting." "Well then....Don't Stand for more then 10 minutes at a time. Would you rather spend all day on your butt and carry a healthy girl to term or get things done around the house and spend months in NICU???" "Well when you put it like that..." "Then I guess you know what you got to do?" So looks like Steve will be learning to do a lot more housework! LOL. Which probably means my house will not get done until mom gets here in December. And by done I mean taken out of boxes lol. It will all be worth in the end though when Gracie is healthy!

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww...tell Steve to go to care.com and hire you a housecleaner for the rest of your pregnancy. We found one who we love and is super cheap on there. Def take care of yourself and the rest can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Katie! It sounds like Rachel needs to get to Colorado this fall and take care of you for at least a week or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...I so wish I was closer, so I could help. Maybe I will look and see how expensive tickets are...=)

    ReplyDelete