Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reality Sets In

"On Behalf of a Grateful Nation....."

Six words.....Six rather small words that send chills up my spine and tears to my eyes. These six words hunt my every fear, and I am sure everyone else with any loved one in the military's fears as well. I was once told by a Colonel's wife that at some point in our lifetime as a military family we will know at least one person who is in some form killed in action.

After watching Army Wive's tonight reality slowly began to set in. Steve smiled and laughed at me as he passed through the living room watching me ball my eyes out and go through a box a of tissues. What he didn't understand was I was not upset because of this fictional show, but the real world situation it was depicting. Our real world. It was just last week Steve came home to tell me a story of how he almost had a mid-air collision with another (civilian) air craft AND he's not even in a battle zone!

So what can I do to ease my mind? Nothing. All I can do is hold on to him every minute I have. Cherish every second I spend with my sister and every laugh I have with friends. I know the dangers that come with the job they are doing. I know the reality of what could happen. I know that my time with them is precious. I know that I am Blessed just to get to have them in my life. And I pray every day that no one else will ever have to hear those six hair-rising words.

No comments:

Post a Comment