Sunday, August 5, 2012

Beggar's can't be choosers.

   From the time Steve graduated UPT to the his report no later then date was a total of 2 months and 13 days. Steve was home a grand total of 11 of those days. He left for SERE (survival school) the week after he pinned on his wings. Returned for a whopping 36 hours and left again only to return 4 days before we had be in Colorado. Which left me at home to deal with all the things that come with moving. Not to mention I was pregnant and to top it all off in true Air Force style none of his orders were correct so I had to deal with all that drama. I remember looking at houses to rent off base, but because we had no time to come see them in person I felt that renting off base was going to be near impossible. When we applied for base housing they told us that it would be a 6-12 month wait for a house. As I had already stated we just did not have the time to wait. I wanted to be in a house fairly soon after moving here and be able to set up as much as I could before Grace made her grand entrance. I remember crying one night thinking OMG we are going to end up in a crapy neighborhood that I am going to be too scare to stay at home alone in because we don't know anything about the springs or what is a good part/bad part of town. I just sat there in bed PRAYING to God we'd get a house on base. I said I don't care what house it is just let us get one on base. A week later Steve called to tell me that we had a house. All we had to do is sign a commitment to it and they would hold it till we got there. Umm...YES!! Now some people might be thinking wow that's brave, but trust me I have lived in some NASTY base housing in my life and I was sure that Peterson's was much better then any of them. So we signed the commitment and a little bit of stress was lifted.
     When we got to Peterson and we saw our house I loved it. It's not something I would buy because I can basically reach my neighbors window from ours, but it's prefect for right now. We did the walk through and signed the official lease and BAM home sweet home. Oh our way back from the housing office I noticed a plane coming in for landing pretty close to the base. It creeped closer and closer to our street and then I noticed that it was landing basically in our backyard. When we got home I raced upstairs and sure enough I could throw a baseball and hit the runway. Ok I can deal with that I thought. It was really cool for a while, we got to see all kinds of planes landing and taking off because it's a shared runway with the Colorado Springs Airport. Steve of course loved it, and I will admit even I got a kick out of watching him do touch and goes on his first flight here from our back porch. After a couple weeks it got old FAST. Not so much during the day, but at night and I mean late at night when the windows start to shake about every 15 minutes because the other runaway is closed it gets REALLY OLD REALLY FAST! Tonight however has reached a WHOLE different kind of annoying.
       Today I woke up about 2 am with some nasty something and spent most of the morning praying to the porcelain god. I am thinking it was something I had last night that I didn't finish because it tasted kinda off. I was able to keep down some toast this morning and plain pasta in the afternoon, but all day I still felt weak. To top it off Steve is on a TDY so it was just me and Grace and anyone who has had to watch a crawling infant when their ill knows today was not an easy day to get though. So tonight when Grace hit the sack at 8pm this mommy did not hesitate to do the same. I crawled into bed and just as I was about to fall asleep that all to familiar roar got louder and louder and then BAM Grace starts screaming! She's usually not bothered by the planes so I was thinking maybe she scared herself awake. So I went in laid her back down with her binky and left the room. She cried for a bit but drifted off in no time. Then 9:20 I hear her crying again and the fading noise of a jet. UGH!! So I let it go this time. After about 10 minutes of her screaming I try calming her down though the monitor but that does work so I go back in rock her a bit and she drifts back to sleep. Again at 10:30 a much bigger jet (probably a C-17 THANKS BUDDIES!) comes roaring though. Grace just loses it and so do I. I am exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open and all I want to do is sleep. So I bend quickly picking her up, change her diaper, and feed her a little snack. She's finally back asleep and as long as NO other jets come though we should be good for the rest of the night. I however am WIDE awake now even though my stomach is turning again and my head is back to pounding. FANTASTIC. So I am gonna go lay in bed and tell my subconscious "Yea sure Katie, ANY HOUSE!!" UGH! I guess beggar's really can't be choosers.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you should run a box fan or noise machine in Grace's room. Our house is really close to the runway here too and we're never bothered because we have that extra background noise. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete