Sunday, April 8, 2012

To the moon and back.

TWO POST IN 24 HOURS!! I know whatever will you do with yourselves!! Just kidding!

Happy Easter Everyone!!

As you all know this is Gracie's first and so far it has been great. She was showered with gifts from everyone in the family and was an angel this morning at mass. She's been a little cranky off and on though out the day, but who wouldn't be a little grouch with teething trying to push though your gums? One of the ways I get her to clam down is by reading to her. I think the pictures and my voices help distract her. So I went over to the easter book table and picked up a couple books she got today.

In the years that I have worked with children I have read a ton of books and you can't help but fall in love with a few of them. My favorite has got to be Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. For those of you not familiar with this book it is about a little bunny (Little Nut Brown Hare) who is trying to play the I love you more game with his daddy (Big Nut Brown Hare) or at least I assume it's his daddy they never really say what he is to the little bunny, but they do refer to him as a he. I have read this book probably 1,000 times to other children. I can do it without looking at pages. The book ends with my favorite line of all time from a parent to their child. Little Nut Brown Hare has fallen asleep after telling his daddy that he loves him all the way to the moon. Big Nut Brown Hare then tucks his little one into bed and leans in close and whispers in his ear

"I love you to the moon...and back."

I don't know what about this moment of reading that line for the first time to my daughter sitting on my lap that got to me, but I just teared up. Steve of course catches this right away and starts asking what's wrong. Which just leads to me full on crying. I've always dreamed of reading my favorite books to my kids one day, and there was a time there when I was told that that would never happen. So maybe that's what got to me. Here I am Easter 2012 reading to the most beautiful girl in the whole world, my little girl!

Mommy loves you Gracie...to the moon and back!

1 comment: